DJI Mavic Air Review 2018
A few weeks ago, as you have surely read, the new and beautiful DJI Mavic AIR drone was officially presented.
We dedicated an article to this DJI Mavic AIR in which we analyzed all the news and the main differences between DJI Mavic AIR, Mavic Pro, and Spark.
Finally, that the DJI Mavic Air, unlike Spark, works very well and without any problem. There are therefore the annoying problems of WiFi that have always plagued the Spark and have forced the owners of this small drone to switch to FCC mode to avoid loss of signal and sudden drone.
Today, however, we offer you the quick and timely review of Mavic Air. I know that if you are thinking of buying this beautiful drone, you have no desire to read 2000 words that explain how it is built, how beautiful, small, powerful and compact.
Precisely for this reason in the review of Mavic Air that I decided to share with you, I will go to just list the pros and cons of DJI Mavic Air drone. Few points, few words, but all that is needed to understand if it makes sense or not to buy this new Mavic Air.
That said, stop with the chatter and immediately go to the review!
DJI Mavic Air Review 2018 Pros and Cons
- It’s so small that it’s practically in your pocket. Much smaller than the Mavic Pro and, when closed, smaller even than the Spark. It is really very small and compact. Despite this, however, its hardware and functions are even better than Spark and Mavic
- Sensors for rear obstacles. Ok, they are not essential, but they are very comfortable and useful to avoid collisions
- Advanced Pilot Assistance System ( APAS ). Now the DJI Mavic Air drives practically alone. Do not just see the obstacles and stop to avoid them, but find an alternative route to continue the flight without crashing. It’s a kind of autonomous driving for drones, and it works very well
- 8GB internal memory. With the Mavic Pro, I forgot my memory card at home several times before flying. The result was that I took pictures and shot videos that were not saved by the drone. Now, with 8GB of internal memory, the problem no longer exists. Of course, it will always serve the MicroSD to shoot video in 4K, but the internal memory saves us in case of emergency
- Many automatic shooting modes for spectacular photos and videos
- High-quality assembly, materials, paint and plastics, better than the Mavic Pro
- It comes up to 68.4 kph in Sport mode
- New remote control with the levers that are disassembled: it is much more convenient to carry in your backpack or suitcase
- Possibility to control it with gestures (without telephone or remote control). And everything works even better than the Spark
- Gimbal more protected and safe from bumps or beatings
- 20 minutes of flight. More than the Spark, less than the Mavic Pro. Additional batteries will be needed, also because the actual minutes then become about 18
- 500 meters maximum distance in EU (or at least 2KM in FCC). Radio technology is the same as Spark: it works much better, it is much more stable and reliable, but it reaches a maximum of 500 meters. With the Mavic Pro the maximum distance was much higher. It is not a huge limit, also because passing the drone in FCC mode you can easily reach 2KM away, but compared to the Mavic Pro the maximum distance is greatly reduced
- Less stable with the wind (compared to Mavic Pro), but nothing serious
- Slower uphill /downhill (compared to Mavic Pro)
- Remote control without display
- More noisy Pro Mavic: nothing serious, but smaller propellers are obliged to turn more quickly and thus make more noise
Without too many words, DJI Mavic Air is the drone you’ve always wanted to travel, but not only.
It costs less than the Mavic Pro, a little more than the Spark, but the price is right in my opinion. With $1045 you take home the basic version, which still allows you to fly freely, even in strong winds.
You control extremely easily, the APAS functions allow you to drive it in total safety without risking going against objects or buildings, the quality of the photos and videos is excellent.
And then it is so small and compact that you will always carry it with you, on any occasion. It’s like having a flying camera always available, smart and easy to control.
It is definitely the best product ever made by DJI for those who want a light, compact and comfortable to transport drone. Impossible to leave it at home!
I had the Mavic Pro, but I sold it because it was too powerful for me. Then I had the Spark, which disappointed me until I put it in FCC mode (and the battery lasted too little).
I think DJI Mavic Air is the best compromise from all points of view. Who wants to spend little (and have little) can take the Spark, who wants to go much further can buy the Mavic Pro, everyone else with DJI Mavic Air will be much more than satisfied. Guaranteed!
And anyway, if you are undecided between this and the Spark, there is no doubt: take this! The Spark was a great experiment for DJI, but it has too many limits and problems. This Mavic Air is slightly lower than the Mavic Pro but far better than the Spark!
Before concluding, here is a quick comparison of the 3 DJI travel drones:
|Spark||Mavic Air||Mavic Pro|
|Dimensions (LWH)||143 × 143 × 55 mm||168 × 83 × 49 mm (folded); 168 × 184 × 64 mm (unfolded)||198 × 83 × 83 mm (folded); 305 × 244 × 85 mm (unfolded)|
|Room||12-megapixel, 1 / 2.3-inch image sensor; f2.6 25mm lens||12-megapixel, 1 / 2.3-inch image sensor; f2.8 24mm lens||12-megapixel, 1 / 2.3-inch image sensor; f2.2 28mm lens|
|Video resolution / Max. bit rate||1,920 × 1,080 (30fps); 24Mbps||3,840 × 2,160 (30fps); 100Mbps||4,096 × 2,160 (24fps);60Mbps|
|Photo resolution (pixels)||3,968 × 2,976||4,056 × 3,040||4,000 × 3,000|
|Formats (video / photo)||MP4 (H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC) / JPEG||MP4, MOV (H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC) / JPEG, DNG (raw)||MP4, MOV (H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC) / JPEG, DNG (raw)|
|Storage||microSD card||microSD card, 8GB internal||microSD card|
|Camera stabilizer||2-axis mechanical gimbal plus electronic stabilization||3-axis mechanical gimbal||3-axis mechanical gimbal|
|Control modes||Gesture, mobile device, remote controller||Gesture, mobile device, remote controller||Mobile device, remote controller|
|Obstacle sensing||Forward||Forward, backward||Forward|
|Max. Transmission distance w / controller||1.2 miles (2 km)||2.4 miles (4 km)||4.3 miles (7 km)|
|Max. Flight time||16 minutes||21 minutes||27 minutes|
Before leaving the page, however, I remind you of the official prices of DJI Mavic AIR.
DJI Mavic AIR how much it costs?
Mavic Air is available in three colors: Onyx Black, Arctic White, and Flame Red.
Instead, there are two versions available:
- Mavic AIR: includes the drone, the battery, the radio control, the carrying case, two pairs of protections for the propellers and four pairs of propellers, sold for $955
- Mavic AIR Fly More Combo: includes the drone, three batteries, a remote control device, a travel bag, two pairs of propeller protectors, six pairs of propellers, a battery/power bank adapter and a battery charging hub, at a cost of $1080
Which version will you buy?
Lowest price on DJI Mavic Air
Here is the direct link to purchase on Amazon with a huge discount:
The best professional drone you can have in 2018 without doubt!